My last Smut Marathon entry was all about stranger sex. As the characters did not use a condom it could also be classed as danger sex. In the feedback to my story, Aurora mentioned that she wished I had included one. This got me thinking and I asked the question on Twitter –
I have a question for my fellow fiction bloggers. @AuroraGloryBlog liked my #smutmarathon stranger-sex entry but wished I had included a condom. When I wrote it I thought about that but felt it would distract from the urgency and general erotic vibe of the story…
CLICK HERE to read some of the replies.
The debate continued on about four different threads. From reading all the answers I conclude that we were by no means all in agreement. That’s how it should be – different people, different opinions.
A few people actually felt that it was an obligation for us to include condoms so as to set a good example and educate in our writing. And others preferred to read about its use because for them without a condom the story did not ring true.
Many explained that it is fiction – make believe – and just as we may not inform the reader that a character is putting on a seatbelt the same may apply to a condom. Others concluded that it may detract from the hotness of the tale. Or of course, lets remember we do love to include a spray of semen to add to the smuttiness.
The majority view appeared to be that if it fitted with the character in the story, and fitted with the plot then one could be included – but a writer should not go out of their way and change the plot to write in a condom.
The last option is where I stand on the issue. As fiction writers I certainly do not think we are under any obligation to educate our reader. We are there to entertain and they will like our work, or not.
I have to admit that none of my characters has put a hat on. Perhaps this is because I do not use them in my real life sex activities.
I did notice a slight age difference of opinion. With the younger bloggers very much wanting to write them into the story.
So this sharing post is all about you guys who have included a condom – for whatever reason – and have still written a hot and sticky story.
Starting off with some bloggers who have written about the place condoms hold in erotic fiction.
- Charlie writes about how the condom is great device in fiction.
- Zen has posted his answer to the question I asked on Twitter.
- KD Grace discusses the topic of safe-sex within fiction.
Some true tales
- Leila tells us about an awkward sexual encounter she had which involved a condom.
- Miss Scarlet gives as an erotic true account of a threesome – safe and sexy.
- Just love this image from Bee
Here are some deliciously sexy stories where a condom gets to play a part.
- Jamie’s episode – Stephanie among the burning beasts – from his series.
- A recent hot tale – The Stream – from Molly Moore.
- Ella has many stories on her blog that include condoms. I picked this one – His Dirty Rhythm – to share with you all.
- Posy recently posted a two part series. This episode – I’ve Waited a Long Time – aptly slips in a condom.
- Cousin Pons charming smut marathon entry – Come on Eilleen
- Lucy is another blogger who has many a tale where a condom is used. I chose this one about anal sex – Anal Sex 101
- Auroria who inspired me to start the debate has her own safe-sexy tale – Neighbours in the Hay.
- Floss’s – Just like a Lamb – ends my condom share.
Please have a read of them all and feel free to add a link to your own or someones else’s condom story or article in the comments.Condom or Not
Header Image from Pixabay